I have held several academic positions during the last years. The main positions are given as follows:
- Associate Professor, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Electrical Engineering Department, KSA;
- Senior Lecturer, The University of The West Indies, Saint Augustine Campus, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies;
- Associate Professor, The University of Trinidad and Tobago UTT, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies;
- Post-doctoral Fellow , Concordia University, Montreal, Canada;
- Part-time teaching position: Ecole de Technologie Supérieure, Montreal, Canada;
- Research and teaching position, ParisSud University, Paris, France;
- Part-time teaching position, Institut Universitaire de Technologie (I.U.T.) de Cachan, Paris, France;
- Part-time teaching position, Institut National Supérieur d’Ingenierie Appliquee (INSIA), Paris, France;
- Part-time teaching position, Institut National Supérieur d’Ingenierie Appliquée (INSIA), Paris, France;
- Part-time teaching position: Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Paris, France.
My background is in the area of Electrical Engineering and Avionics. I summarize my expertise in the following items.
- Nonlinear control;
- Robust and adaptive control of uncertain systems;
- State estimation and parameter identification;
- Model reduction;
- Numerical methods and reliable computing;
- Instrumentation and applied controls (Hysteresis, dead-zones, etc.);
- Monitoring and diagnosis of nonlinear systems;
- Analysis and control of electrical networks (switched systems, hybrid systems);
- Avionics and control;
- Applied nonlinear control and estimation of time-delay systems;
- Ill-posed problems in signal estimation;
- Observation and control of time-delay systems;
- Software development (Matlab, Simulink, micro-controllers, dSPACE, Maple, Mathematica, Reduce, C, C++, Java, Websphere, Fortran, UNIX).
The research projects are divided by each university attended.
1. King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals
I am conducting active research on model reduction of nonlinear systems, adaptive control of hard input systems with application to high-precision positioning, robust control, wing-rock stabilization, modeling of complex systems, numerical algorithms and their application to system control and observation. I am also interested in developing new techniques for state observation, estimation, and parameter identification. A part of my research work is devoted to real-time and intelligent control of a variety of real-world systems.
2. The University of the West Indies
During my stay in UWI, my research activities were mainly focused on the application of nonlinear feedback controllers on fast target computers.
3. The University of Trinidad and Tobago
Since 2008, my research was funded by the University of Trinidad and Tobago. My activities at UTT is very interdisciplinary and moves easily across traditional and local departmental boundaries. I am currently very active in the following areas of research:
- Modeling and control of fuel-cell systems;
- Nonlinear control of feedforward systems with application to under-actuated mechanical systems;
- Parameter estimation;
- Convex-optimization with application to feedback and observer design;
- Nonlinear observer design for time-delay nonlinear systems;
- Observer-based control of nonlinear time-delay systems;
- Iterative learning control;
- Estimation of dynamical systems subject to hard-input nonlinearities.
The obtained results are applied in many fields of engineering including, but not limited to process systems and robotic manipulators.
4. Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
My research was conducted in the department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering of Concordia University. The research was funded by three main projects:
- Intelligent Control of Nonsmooth Dynamic Systems, CRC – Concordia Tier II Research Chair Grant, funded by Concordia University;
- Robust/Adaptive Control of Underactuated Mechanical Systems, NSERC Discovery Grants, funded by NSERC;
- Intelligent systems for precision manufacturing, an IRIS Phase 3 Project, funded by IRIS, one of NETWORKS OF CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE.
More specifically, my main research activity concerns the modelling of rate-dependent hysteresis phenomena that appear in practical systems including high precision positioning systems, piezoelectric transducers, chaotic oscillators, electromagnetic machines and lightweight space structures. A part of the research was devoted to the following subjects:
- Adaptive control of nonlinear systems subject to dead-zone inputs;
- Observer-based control of flexible-joint robots;
- Monitoring of time-varying delay nonlinear systems in discrete-time;
- Robust and multi-objective control design;
- Convex optimization with application to observer and feedback designs.
The last three topics were conducted by me as a personal research program.
5. Ecole de Technologie Supérieure, Montreal, Canada
I participated to CNRCG research program in Aeroservoelasticity. I have developed a considerable part of the project and published several papers on fast and reliable modelling of aerodynamic forces and its interaction with the aircraft dynamics;
I developed theoretical framework for stabilization of uncertain aircraft models.
6. Laboratoire des Signaux et Systèmes L2S, Supelec, France
During these years my research was focused on nonlinear observer design and observer-based control of nonlinear systems.
During my stay at L2S, I have developed several new algorithms for numerical differentiation, control, and observation in presence of noise. The tool was designed in an objectoriented fashion and implemented entirely in Matlab and C. During the whole period of my thesis, I was entirely responsible for the whole design and implementation. A part of my research was dedicated to the control of under-actuated mechanical systems and mobile robotics.
Familiarity with specific hardware, software, techniques and methodologies.
- UNIX (SunOS, Solaris, Ultrix, HPUX, SCO OpenServer 5) Linux (RedHat 7) administration VMS, OpenVMS 7.1 Windows NT4 UNIX shell scripting, VMS DCL, Tcl/Tk (GUI scripting);
- C, FORTRAN, Pascal, Delphi Visual Basic 5 Functional Programming (LISP) Logic Programming (Prolog)
Sun, HP, DEC Alpha, Sequent, PC hardware X11 Window System and Motif Relational Database Development and Administration (CAOpenIngres 1.2 and Microsoft Access) Network Management (TCP/IP, Netrix X.25 NMS, Riversoft OpenRiver).
- Proteus Professional
- National Instruments, Labview
- Comsol multiphysics
- Web design with Dreamweaver